As we continue my series for an intentionally restful summer, I missed last week as I continue to be intentional with my time and energy. Funny enough we are covering how to engage in intellectual rest and last week my mind was just not in a creative space. So here we are! We are up to Week Five for #SummerReset and #SummerRecovery using the 6 important areas of wellness: Physical, Social, Emotional, Financial, Intellectual, and Spiritual. Be sure to read last week’s post on Financial Rest!
Week five we are thinking about how we take intentional rest for our Intellectual Wellness. Our Intellectual Wellness addresses how we learn, grow, and expand our minds. Rest for the mind is more about engaging in a different way or trying new things. Intellectual resting is about creating space from our day to day mind uses. Here are 5 ways that you can reset your Intellectual Wellness.
- Read Something Inspiring – It might be a news article or a new book, something that inspires you and helps you to feel hopeful. A couple of the books that I am in the middle of reading that are inspiring me are Chasing the Brightside, By Jess Ekstrom and Your Fully Charged Life by Meaghan B Murphy. I also like fiction fantasy stories about witchers, vampires, or magic for intellectual rest.
- Listen to a New Podcast – Try a different host, or genre than what you usually listen to, switch from leadership themed to a criminal investigation. Similar to what you are reading, listening to inspirational hosts can also provide a restful moment for your intellect.
- Let Go of the Pressure to Create New Things – Sometimes we have to give ourselves permission to do more, create more, and to develop new things. Borrow an idea from someone else, give them credit, and move forward.
- Go on a Nature Walk – Get outside and enjoy time with nature. Go for a hike, a walk, choose a new trail, aim to be fully present during this time. No music or phone, just take in the sounds and sensations around you.
- Listen to Calming Music – Find some calming music on spotify. I really like movie scores for a change of pace in music. Be sure to create a playlist with your favorites so you can come back to them whenever you need that calming space.
Intellectual Wellness is an important part of our whole being as humans. We use thought constantly so it can be hard to find a restful space when it comes to this area. Leaning into spaces of inspiration is a great way to refresh our minds. Be sure to check-in next week, as I highlight how to employ rest for your spiritual wellness.